There are pro's and con's to getting married on Iona! Many of these are obvious. Weather, for example, can unpredictable but then if you do get a good day there is no where quite like it! It's a long way to come but then once you are here it is certainly somewhere that your guests will remember for a very long time.
There are some less obvious factors which we would also encourage you to consider before you decide to get married here. Organising things on a small west coast island can present it's own set of challenges. If you forget something it's not so easy to pop out and get another! It is a busy and very much a seasonal island and getting accommodation can be difficult.
If, having looked at all of that, you are interested in using the St. Columba as a venue for your wedding guests and reception the following information will be of use to you. We want to be clear from the start about what we can and cannot offer.
Due to the nature of our season there are certain limitations on what we are able to offer. These are summarised below.
- We will not take wedding bookings of any sort in May, June, July or August. We have many returning regulars during this period and cannot therefore offer any space for wedding bookings.
- We will only take a booking for a wedding if the booking is for the whole hotel and is for at least two nights. Full price must be paid even if rooms are un-occupied. The Room & Contintental Breakfast rate for the whole hotel in 2010 (low season) is £2706 per night. For this rate we can accommodate up to 47 people in a variety of rooms. Dinners and reception are priced by negotiation and are dependent upon your specific requirements.
- One person must be identified to deal with payments on behalf of the wedding party. This person is responsible for all payments due being made on time.
- There is a £250 non refundable deposit due upon booking. 20% of the total price must be paid nine months before the booking. This 20% is also non refundable. A further 30% of the total price must be paid six months prior to the booking. This additional 30% will only be refunded if a) the whole booking is cancelled more than eight weeks prior to the wedding date and b) we successfully re-let the rooms.
- Group booking discounts apply only when the whole hotel is booked for three or more nights.
- There is a fee associated with the hotel being closed to the public. This fee is £400 per day. If this fee is not paid we will be open to the public for lunches and afternoon teas. If wedding meals fall outside normal meal times and therefore impinge upon normal lunch / afternoon tea opening times the fee for closing to the public must be paid.
- There are additional charges for services such as flowers, table arrangements, use of car.
- The bar is open until 10:30pm. Extended hours can be requested up until 12 midnight at a cost of £25 per extra half hour.
- Guests may not bring their own alcohol to the hotel. Wine may be pre-ordered by the case at a reduction of 10%.
All other drinks are at normal rates.
If you would like to discuss your needs further then please contact our group bookings manager, Louise Allaway.